01 February 2006

VeggieTales again

So it occurred to me last night that "Khalil" sounds awfully
Hebrew. I'm sure that's intentional... but wouldn't it be a
great joke if it actually meant "worm"?

According to my trusty Langenscheidt Hebrew-English pocket
dictionary, there are three possible meanings for "Khalil"
(depending on which sound in the back of your throat you choose
"kh" to represent). One is "whole, complete, perfect." Another
is "something hollowed out; a flute." The third is "profane."

Poor Khalil.

So I kept looking. If the folks at Big Idea had wanted to use
the Hebrew word for "worm," what would Khalil's name have been?

Turns out he would have been Tole'ah.

But I'm sure he's o. k. with that now.

2 comments:

James said...

hmmm... with the "Kh" it could also be Iranian (back in the Indo-European camp)...

slowlane said...

My dad has done quite the study on the Biblical worm. He has pictures and a little talk he gives and everything.